December 20, 2011

Stanley's Story - Part 1

Stanley with Uncle Harold

Our life stories are woven with many different threads – coloured by and colouring the experiences of others. No one story is ever woven on its own. The story of my nephew Stanley has taught me some of the most important things I’ll ever know: patience, kindness, courage and hope. At the age of two, Stanley developed leukemia, followed by brain damage and epilepsy. And thus began his struggle to survive, and the struggle of his family and community to ensure he belonged.

Stanley surrounded by some members of his extended family

Stanley with Aunt Paula, & Mom & Dad

My sister Nancy and her husband Steve have shed many a tear, and spent countless nights in worry and care, while bravely shepherding Stanley into young adulthood. Through it all, they have also found the energy to help others at l’Arche Halifax, the Epilepsy Association of Nova Scotia, the Community Living Center and Special Olympics, to name those few. They are modern day heroes.

Stanley with his cousin Kate

In the center of this whirlwind is one constant: Stanley Bruce Gilbert: loyal follower of Spiderman, aficionado of veggies and dip, enthusiastic worker at Prescott St. Center, boyfriend of Beth, kid brother of his beloved Jim, lover of life. When Stanley stops what he’s doing, looks up gently and says: “I love you Aunt Paula” my story has all the meaning it needs. I love you too Stan.

Stanley with Paula

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much of our lives too have been profoundly influenced (and dare I say, enriched) by the Stanley's and Peter's (our youngest son)we're privileged to walk with.

Bill & Carol Jay

Anonymous said...

We love you Stan. Beautiful story. Can't wait for part 2.
Camille Fouillard

Anonymous said...

A wonderful story indeed for this time of year - how true that life's most important lessons often come from unexpected quarters. Thanks for sharing - and yes - looking forward as well to Part 2! Merry Christmas.

Bob Reynolds

Michelle K said...

Dear Paula,
Your stories are always so inspiring. Stanley is lucky to have such a caring family & a wonderful Aunt.

Michelle

Jane F. said...

Beautiful!

Jane

Diane said...

Chère Paula,

Quelle merveilleuse histoire de vie avec Stanley!

Vous avez un air de grande complicité et de bonheur sur les photos. merci!

Tom P. said...

Paula thanks for this touching story. We are moved. We also have some family with severe handicap.
The tragedy is immense, and the uber-coping is so brave and remarkable.

Bruce Gilbert said...

Beautiful Paula!
Thank you for writing it!
Bruce

Anonymous said...

I loved the blog on Stan-it brought tears to my eyes-good tears!

Kelly Geddes, L'Arche Halifax

Anonymous said...

Hello Paula,

Thank you for sharing this story of Stanley your nephew.

It is nice to have a picture of you with your family. It has been many years now that I am with the Presbytery and have really not gotten to know you that well, as you always have something to rush towards. You are motion to me. I like to share in people’s stories it pulls us together in a loving circle. Have a wonderful holiday and I will certainly keep Stanley in my prayers. Monique

Deb Gass said...

Hi Paula - I actually wrote this on December 20th , just before Christmas , after reading Stanley's story :
"Hi Paula - Thank you for that - it came at the right time - we had a great evening wiht the Gilberts on Sat.- played pool for L'Arche Haiti( lots of fun - first time I ever even held a pool cue ! ) and enjoyed their usual generous hospitality - I found Stan to be particularly sociable that night - we had a really good chat , which was wonderful for me - As we move through this holy season , I am thinking of the challenging work you do , and wishing you peace - Deb