March 08, 2012

MCM Presents!

I chose to do a clinic course at the Just Solutions Legal Clinic in an attempt to learn the intricacies of immigration law that I cannot learn from my textbooks. I am lucky, because I am getting so much more than that. Not only am I learning law and helping people, but the clients also have a lot to share with me on the human level. 

At the Clinic, I get to interact with people who face the threat of returning to a country where their life or wellbeing is in danger. Many of them have to deal with mental or physical health problems. If we were not there to help them, many of our clients simply would not fill out the simple form they need in order to receive what is rightfully theirs or would not know which procedure they need to undertake to remain here with their family. 

While I do help clients with both simple or complex legal work, this is also an opportunity for me to learn from people facing difficult obstacles in their lives – people who have developed the strength and resilience necessary to go through yet another set of taxing proceedings. We at the Clinic really do bond with our clients and we share their joy or their grief over the outcome of the proceedings. Sharing those moments is what this placement is all about.

Myriam Larose

BCL/LLB student at the McGill Faculty of Law, 3rd year



1 comment:

Andrea said...

We truly appreciate Myriam's presence on the JS team! We are so happy to be able to offer students the opportunity to work directly with our clients which, as Myriam points out, is definitely a mutually beneficial learning process for all involved.